Josef Sudek captured the highest level of the staircase in the burnt town hall, between the third and fourth floors of Volflin's former house. The staircase was built in 1853 after plans by the builder Jan Bělský as a replacement for the older, late Gothic staircase. During the post-war reconstruction, the staircase was restored to its original form from before the fire. Up to today, it serves to reach the representative halls of the town hall, portals of the Senate and the Presidium, the chapel and the tower.
On the last landing, the staircase was once decorated with a copy of the sculpture Lumír by Antonín Wagner, the original of which was made for the National Theater. In 1875, Wagner's design won the competition for the sculptures of Záboj and Lumír, figures from the Manuscript of Dvůr Králové, over the designs by Josef Václav Myslbek. The sculptures were intended for the front pylons of the staircase in the new National Theater building.
The statue of Lumír is no longer standing on the staircase of the Old Town Hall, only the vacant plinth remains. It may have been removed due to the severe damage in 1945 or because of the lack of space after the elevator was built in the center of the staircase.